Saturday 7 December 2013

Scene Setting

I've been debating writing a new blog for a number of months as I thought it would create my own record of my birding pursuits throughout the year. The end of 2013 will mark the end of five year stint writing a blog for leading UK greyhound trainer Chris Allsopp so a perfect time to start a new project.

For a purpose of scene setting I can remember being a member of the Young Ornithology Club at a young age but sport then played a major role in following years. I did travel North America, Australia and the Mediterranean and always took a field guide but never really recorded any records. I can remember watching closely Bald Eagle flying at Cape Canaveral, Florida.

I've lived in Redditch since 1983 when moving from Kings Norton. Birmingham. I spend many hours cycling, running and walking around my future local patch which is the Arrow Valley Lake. Whilst it will never throw up many birding superstars it's a great local amenity for the community. I discovered the brilliant Upton Warren when my son asked to go there, I had no idea that Worcestershire had such a superb nature reserve. I tend to do a vast majority of my birding at these two places locally. Further afield I'm a regular visitor to Slimbridge and try and get a few visits to Norfolk each year.

2011 was the first year I kept and maintained and records whilst in 2012 I set myself a target to see 200 species within the year. I managed to reach 171 which made me more determined this year. More of that target later in the blog. I record all my sightings on the BTO's Birdtrack. I'm still very much learning and most thank full to all those who have offered advice and guidance. Most of the photos that I will post will either be environment shots or images that some of great local photographers have sent me to help. (Many thanks to Vern who forwarded me some images for the blog banner)


I am a member of the RSPB, Worcestershire & Norfolk Wildlife Trust and the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust.  I use a Swarovaski ATS 65 HS Scope with 20-60 Zoom Eye piece and Opticron binoculars.

No comments:

Post a Comment