Tuesday 9 June 2020

And FINALLY a Caspain Tern.........

Finally........
Short video of Tern at distance
Full zoom on for this carrot billed beauty
Caspain Tern on left edge of island

Windmill on the walk out to the reserve
You have reached your destination

Fulmar

Distant Stone Curlew family

I've got some history with Caspian Terns. As an annual species it's one thats been on my most wanted list for a long time. I saw the species out in Gambia but somehow it had remained absent from my UK list. I've tried to twitch a few times only to call off the pursuit when the bird had flown, then there have been a few more when I've been on sports taxi duty.

This bird was found on Sunday, wearing a Sweden ring, in Potter Higham. With the forecast being for heavy rain I was never going to divert from London so I hatched a plan that evening. More rain was forecast that evening so I thought my chances would be increased. The Squire liked the plan so joined me in this long distance twitch. The Sat Nav said 3 1/2 hours but we knocked 35 minutes off that time due to the improved roads.


We followed the parking instructions and walked out east which probably seemed longer than it was as we were still concerned the bird might take flight once rested up. We didn't need to worry as the monster tern was sat roosting on the edge of the island. At last.............. It would have been nice to see the bird in flight & fishing but there was no sign of that, he clearly didn't fancy flying around in the arctic feeling conditions. Other sighting highlights included Avocet, Black-tailed Godwits & a single Marsh Harrier battling the wind.

After a refreshing take-away bacon sandwich & tea we headed further north to try and get the Squire another lifer. Sadly the Blyth's Reed Warbler didn't follow the script and we left without success.

On our way home we stopped at excellent Brecks spot to watch a family of Stone Curlew, a cracking way to end a very long day.


1 comment:

  1. Well done Neil. For me the wait for a Caspo goes on. Just forty years and counting.

    ReplyDelete