Sunday 21 June 2020

Large Heath at Whixall Moss NNR














Both my Butterfly contacts, Dave & Lloyd, warned me the Large Heath would be the toughest butterfly to photograph as it very active and difficult to find as it buries itself in the long grass. It was very overcast when we arrived at Whixall and there was nothing flying at all. This could be as tough as expected. A Stonechat popped up which was nice and you could hear the bubbling Curlew on their breeding grounds.

There was a handful of people all looking for the same species without success and wondering if the sun would ever emerge. After around forty minutes there was a small break in the cloud and the sun emerged for just five minutes, we could feel temperature increase.

Suddenly Mrs D asked me 'what was that' as a fresh Large Heath flew straight across in front of us and landed right by the edge of the path. I kept waiting for it to fly off as expected but it just stayed still which gave the opportunity to get the shots I wanted. The second one climbed on my finger as I was trying to move the debris around the butterfly.

We only saw around 4 Large Heaths during our visit and it seemed we did extremely well looking at comments on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment