Tuesday 9 June 2020

Glanville Fritillary at Hutchinson's Bank






I got up on Sunday thinking of going to see the Large Blues at Daneway however upon checking the weather I thought it was a good opertunity to head to Croyden, traffic free to see to Glanville Fritillary. After an easy journey, parking at Farleigh Dean Cresent, it was short walk up hill to the dry chalk valley reserve owned by the London Wildlife Trust. The Glanvilles were re-intoduced here in 2011, there was a colony at Wrecclesham but that was wiped out in 2012.

Whilst waitching for the Fritillarys to emerge I recorded good numbers of Small Blue, 2 Large Skipper, Small Heath, Meadow Brown & a handful of Roman Snails which I'd not seen before.

Heavy overnight rain seemed to have delayed the emergence of the Glanvilles, it was getting warmer and warmer and still no sign. Thankfully one caught my eye low on the bank and I got a few shots before shouting over the only other person looking.

As the morning progressed a couple more came into view but they mostly perched open winged on the path which is never the best shot. Just before leaving the sun went in and one kindly perched high with wings closed letting me take the shot I wanted. Phew........No.49 now nicely in the bag.

On the way home at stopped at Aston Rowant where I did a quick circuit as there were more people than I expected. A fresh Dark Green Fritillary was a nice addition to the plentiful Red Kites before I headed back up the M40.

No comments:

Post a Comment